Sunday, August 23, 2009

You Knew What I Was When You Picked Me Up

My Last Sunday As Beehive Advisor I gave Lesson #28, Resisting Sin. Julie had helped me a few weeks back format the saying that goes along with the story of the Indian warrior. I tuned them into these way cute handouts with snakes woven through. I had made Chocolate Truffles, because those to are a sin that is hard to resist! I got the recipe from Carrie Maughan. The recipe is at the end of this post.
Gordon B. Hinckley, "...I have never forgotten a story that Elder Robert Harbertson told at this Tabernacle pulpit. He spoke of an Indian boy who climbed a high mountain. It was cold up there. At his feet was a snake, a rattlesnake. The snake was cold and pleaded with the young man to pick it up and take it down where it was warmer. The Indian boy listened to the enticings of the serpent. He gave in. He gathered it up into his arms and covered it with his shirt. He carried it down the mountain to where it was warm. He gently put it on the grass. When the snake was warm it raised its head and struck the boy with its poisonous fangs. The boy cursed at the snake for striking him as an answer to his kindness. The snake replied, "You knew what I was when you picked me up"
As happens at church, you don;t get to keep the callings you love for forever! I will miss my class and the beautiful girls I have loved and taught for the past year! Not everyone was able to be there my last Sunday but the girls in the picture are Karina, Sarah Southards, Me, Emma Maughan, Mary Wright and Madelaine Holman.

Simply Sensational Truffles
Makes 3 dozen

· 8 oz Semi-sweet baking chocolate
· 8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
· 1 tsp Almond Extract (can substitute and other flavoring if desired)
· 12 oz Milk chocolate, dipping chocolate. (NOT the regular chocolate chip type!)

Melt 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate as directed on package. Beat cream cheese with mixer until creamy and smooth. Blend in melted chocolate and almond extract. Refrigerate until firm. (about 30 min to 1 hour)
Shape into about 1 inch balls. Place on waxed paper-covered baking sheet.
Melt Milk chocolate as directed on package. Use fork to dip truffles; return to baking sheet. Decorate if desired while chocolate is still wet. Return to refrigerator for 1 hour.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Glad the handouts worked well. I bet the girls will miss you. You are such a fun person to be with. I think I'll try that truffle recipe for my presidency sometime. I love recipes that other people I know have already tried!

hwg2g2 said...

I use low fat cream cheese and they tast just as great with less guilt!