Friday, February 3, 2012

Conrad’s 1st School Project 11/8/11

Conrad’s first big school project was in Social Studies for his favorite teacher, Mrs. Jennings (interesting tid-bit: I was good friends with her in elementary school) on the Nile River and Egypt.
IMG_2986-1It was a real struggle for him to decide what medium to make his project out of.  At first he wanted to make it all out of Legos but was encouraged by Michael and a few others to think outside his comfort zone. Conrad has been enjoying a lot of Cake Boss on Netflix's lately and totally loved the idea of making and decorating a cake for the project.
Coming up with this took so much time it was not as planned out as it should have been.  After getting home from my birthday party at M&D’s we stayed up till around 2am finishing it up and typing the definitions for the labels.  Conrad is NOT a late night kind of kid and this presented it’s own set of challenges, though we were able to still do a pretty good job in spite of the hurdles.
2011-11-08 0031
I had plenty of left over rolled fondant, I made a few days before, from making an Angry Bird Cake for Josh Millard’s birthday party. (It turned out PERFECT but I forgot to take any pictures with the camera, they are all on my phone.)  I was still shocked how long it took us to put together and decorate this cake even though Conrad had made almost all the structures earlier that day!  Getting the river just right took a lot of time.
2011-11-08 002Conrad and I worked on it very hard and I am so proud of him for working so hard and doing his best!  Love you Conrad!  and doesn’t his cake look amazing!  His teacher was very impressed!  A+ was his grade!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks so cool Conrad! Maybe I should try that for one of my school projects. Was it yummy, or are you not going to eat it?

hwg2g2 said...

They ate almost half the cake in class. The other half of that half with all the kids waiting to be picked up from after school tutoring. You should, I can not wait to see pictures!

David said...

That's cool. Since it is fast Sunday I could do with a little cake project myself in a couple hours!

hwg2g2 said...

nice dave (conrad)

Julie said...

Sorry you had to stay up late, but AWESOME job! Jessie beat me to your blog and was so excited to tell me about the project.