Thursday, May 20, 2010

Alexander Michael Gavin

Here is his birth story.

The night of the 18th I started contracting irregularly but often enough for me to call the nurse around mid-night. She hooked me up the the monitor for a few hours and watched to see what was happening. They said everything looked ok and to just go to sleep. I think I went to bed around 3am and got woke up with the regular morning routine around 6am.

My Doctor came in, in the morning and said she was happy I was feeling contractions to help get my cervix ready for the induction scheduled for Friday next week. "You can do that all you want." she said. Well, I think the little guy heard and considered it permission.

I was having irregular contractions most of the morning. Around the afternoon I started with pretty consistent, 20 minutes apart mild contractions. As the day progressed they got to be consistently 10 minutes apart. Around 5 I called Michael and told him to come up to the hospital, I called the nurse and they hooked me up to the monitor again. After watching us for a while I had 3 then 4 doctors come in and check on us because during the contractions the baby's heart rate would drop. They had me change positions, all the doctors stayed in the room for about an hour to watch how he was doing. His heart rate got better but they wanted me to go over to the labor and delivery side because in the Mom and baby side they usually only leave you on for 20 to 30 minutes just to be watched. That was about 6p.m. ish.

Once they moved me over things started to progress faster. I has so relieved when Michael got here about 7! It was not long after Michael got here the contractions started to get bad so I decided I would take some Tylenol for the pain. They were not sure if i was going to deliver so they did not want to offer much else. I decided after the pain started to get VERY bad to ask for something a little better. They hooked up some Stadal to my line but it did about as much good as the two regular strength Tylenol for the pain.

My doctor checked me and I was at a 1 but she said I was 100% effaced. She called my high risk doctor and came back to check me again it was 8:45. My contractions at this point were about 2 to 1 minutes a part. His heart rate started dropping again during contractions. She said she would brake my water so she could put a monitor on the baby. I had had a Leep (surgery performed on my cervix) and she decided I must had some scaring on it, that was why I was not dilating. My doctor said she would manually stretch my cervix to help it open. The baby had been pushing so hard on my cervix and it could not open on it's own. That was causing a horrible amount of pain and pressure! Once she manually opened it, I breathed a momentary sigh of relief from the pressure! Helping to open my cervix along with breaking my water, it all happened very fast! He dropped so fast when she broke my water that his heart rate stopped during my next few contractions. Changing positions was not helping; she said we had to deliver NOW. She had me start pushing. It was crazy HELL ON EARTH PAIN! I pushed for what I think was only a few minutes and he was out just like that! He cried and they whisked him off to the NICU. It was over just like that! My doctor said it was her fastest delivery yet. From a 1 to a 7plus and delivery in 20 minutes!!!

At 9:05p.m. on May 19th Alexander Michael was born 4lbs 5oz and 17 inches. He is breathing on his own, we are both doing great!

Here is the second picture of Alexander, because I look so bad in the first one I don't want to post it. :-)Me holding Alexander for the first time. Glad that he is here! What a cute little guy! I love him!Sleeping all comfy in the isolate.

6 comments:

JoVanna said...

Congratulations Heather & Michael!!! So glad to hear everyone is doing well.

-JoVanna

djensen said...

Wow! what a crazy day! I am glad you are both happy and healthy. Can't wait to meet him!

Cari said...

Now you know what "natural" really means I guess. HA! Can't wait to meet him.

Julie said...

Great name! The kids approved :-)

Christopher and Robin said...

Heal fast. We love you! Congratulations

Cari said...

Wow, that binky is almost as big as his head! So cute!